Game Informer has just published an article with 5 facts about our future Dragon Age protagonist, Hawke. Most of the facts are things we already knew if we’ve read the press release, or gone to the official Dragon Age 2 website. But, there are a few new of things of interest.
- Reason for voicing Hawke: “This opens the door for a more cinematic approach to dialogue and creates an identity for the character outside of the text you see on-screen. It also eliminates those awkward scenarios where you feel like your character should be reacting, but instead just stares blankly without so much as a grunt.”
- You’re stuck playing a human, but “You can still choose your class and customize your appearance,” which is to be expected.
- Hawke didn’t just survive the blight…he escaped it. As the Grey Warden from Dragon Age: Origins was fighting darkspawn, Hawke was living in Lothering. Fans will remember that the small village was raided and destroyed (an event that occurred off-screen in Origins), and Hawke was one of the survivors. However, rather than stay and fight the darkspawn menace, Hawke flees Ferelden and heads north.
- Locations that Dragon Age 2 takes place in: “some of the action in Dragon Age II will be set in Kirkwall itself, though Hawke will also spend time in other areas of the Free Marches. What exactly Hawke does to earn the honorary title of Champion, however, is up to you.”
- Dragon Age II is not about killing an ancient evil or about quelling another blight; Hawke is the driving force behind the narrative. Over the course of the game’s 10-year timeline, players’ actions and choices will determine Hawke’s history, relationships, and regrets…all in service to answering the larger question: Who is the Champion of Kirkwall?